Belgium day 1 / SAM X BRUSSELS


Greetings from my messy room,

I can't even remember when the last time I wrote a blog was. I've been pulled in a whirlwind of life in the new world, full of liberation but also complications. The other day I read my last blog post, and in it I counted the amount of weeks ahead of me in Germany. It seemed like a long time back then, but now sitting here typing these words, I'm just less than 3 weeks shy of finishing the semester in Bielefeld and have to pack my suitcase to Bremen. I'm probably gonna squeeze in a couple of trips in between, hopefully I'll still be alive when I go to Bremen, cause traveling drains your energy in the most extreme way.

Last weekend I went to Belgium. It seemed like a natural thing to do, as almost everybody around me have already been there. In this exchange thing, traveling is like a race, and whoever manages to visit the most cities can gloat a little, and play the know-it-all part and tip some places to see, hostels to book or food to eat. The trip alone was awesome, cause it was my first trip completely alone, my first couchsurfing experience, and also the first trip that I've finally worked up the motivation to carry the camera around.

For the first day, I just mainly wandered around Brussels. Brussels has a nice mixture of old and new architecture, while challenging tourists with hills and the lack of street name plates. I also took the metro to see the Atomium, which was supposed to be interesting but somehow wasn't. The central place of Brussels was especially beautiful, you really feel like you're covered in old beautiful houses that if you blink it's going to be a waste of time. For Brussels I think you just need to wander randomly around the central part, and old buildings will just appear in front of your eyes, and suddenly you'll see a very beautiful clock decorated with metallic puppets, so beautiful that you just need to sit down and observe for a good 15 minutes, not even wanting to take photos cause the view in front of your eyes are much more beautiful than when captured in a small camera.

This trip was also my first couchsurfing experience. Thank you Selif for being cool, giving me tips and suggesting me to Amy and Frank, and of course thank you Amy and Frank for being super lovely and making me feel at home, which is surprisingly vital when you travel on your own. But most of all, the feeling of traveling alone and being able to listen to the country around you is something I've never known before. As long as you're home alive, everything in between is all counted as experience haha

So here we go, a couple of photos I took on my first day in Brussels. Enjoy and have a nice day earthlings!

















No comments:

Post a Comment